Widget is a small program that you can easily put on your website, blog, or personalized start page. A common example of a widget is that most of us run across almost every day is those Google advertisements. These ads are produced by placing a small piece of code on the web page. The hard part — choosing an advertisement that matches the content and displaying that ad — is done by Google.
But widgets aren’t limited to advertisements. A widget can be anything from a voting poll to a weather forecast to a list of current headlines to a crossword puzzle. You can utilize them in your blog to provide an interactive experience for your readers, or you can place them on your personalized start page to get at information you want to see on a regular basis.
Widgets are an effective way to expose data or crowd sourced information in easy ways. They can also serve as a scalable way to build links back to your target site while easy to implement distributed application that people find valuable, here are five simple steps to access widgets.
The first step in widget success is creating a ‘great widget’. So adhere the following practices, these practices are best when you’re thinking about adding widget to your websites.
1. Transparency: Don’t hide the link using CSS or other coding tricks. Your embedded link in the widget has to be visible, only then your users will like it.
2. No Bait & Switches: Always make sure that the link is relevant to the creator and contents of widget.
For example: If the widget is from a fashion site; that displays the latest openings for Wedding Occasions, don’t include a anchor text where the link goes to an medical care sign-up site.
From above you could have understood that – don’t use anchor text link to send traffic to a site not based on the content of the widget.
3. Brand Attribution: Focus on brand creating the brand keyword modifier in the link. The anchor text value is the only one component of an effective widget link. For targeting most of the link includes both brand and a lock –up of the focus keyword. An example is Power Point Presentation.
In all SEO activities; always aim to stay above board with “white hat” tactics. The SEO benefits of well designed widget include:
· Persistent and distributed presence on other sites. Brand exposure can result in awareness and additional brand search in the engines.
· Domain diversity is a key component of any inbound linking program. So increase the number of domain links in your site.
· An increase in quantity of inbounds links will be more useful and also it will get added more to other sites.
· Have control over the anchor text in the links.
If a widget has to be well developed, it should be well designed, loaded quickly, should be light weighted, and be code perceptive so that it doesn’t slow down the loading of the page. The key to make widget use for SEO is making the widget visible to the search engines as a part of the host page. This means the following:
Using search engine bots like HEML, JQuery, XTML etc… build technology that can be “crawled” or “read”.
· Avoid technologies such as iframes.
· Use effective Meta tags.
· Make the widget as code light as possible to keep the speed of the loading page of the host strong.
· Make the widget as customizable from color to targeting perspective as possible, as it makes sense for the application.
A good widget has usefulness that excites web makers, marketers and end-users. Even the most helpful widget in the world can get lost without proper persisting. If users are unaware of the existence, below are some tactics:
· Using good SEO practices creates a standalone page on your website for the widget. Build the page with navigation and site map structures.
· Create blog posts, mentioned in your social media channels, profiles & e-mail newsletters.
· Promote the page with widget embedded in your own site, partner site, or site you have business relationships.
· Find some specific, relevant sites to partner with to “seed” the widget and get early feedback.
With most marketing activities, make sure you have referral measurement mechanism set-up in place, so that you can learn which widgets are performing as per your expectations. Track click-through, visits, conversions, and leads captured from your distributed creations. Keep the widgets that perform well, and remove the ones that are causing damage to your brand.