Elgg is a social networking platform developed by Ben Wertmuller von and David Tosh in the year 2004. Since then Elgg has been recognized as one of the most popular cross platform, open source social networking application. Many prestigious websites has been developed using Elgg. Elgg is gaining popularity day by day as it’s an open source platform. If you are business minded and want to earn some bucks then elgg is the perfect platform for you. You can make a social networking website using Elgg and can add almost all features that popular social networking websites offer. Some features of Elgg are shown below.
• The Elgg software can be downloaded for free
• Desired user profile
• Chatting feature
• Can post updates
• Friends can comment on your updates
• User data security
• A lot of Elgg templates are available for free and you can chose from them
• There is no restriction for platforms will work in PHP My SQL apache and Linux
• Elgg hosting is pretty much popular and will work well for your website
• Can customize Elgg platform by adding your own features
• A large no of plugins are available for elgg . Plugins enhance the performance of your website by bringing in additional features.
How to install Elgg:
Elgg is a leading social networking platform which helps you to make your own social networking website. As it’s free software, anyone can download it from Elgg.Org and make social networking sites. Let’s now see how to install elgg in your computer
First of all there are some technical requirements for installing Elgg in your system lets see what they are.
• PHP 5.2 or greater version – PHP should have extensions like GD , multi byte string support and the ability to send email through MTA
• My SQL (version) or greater
• A suitable web server (Apache) which has the support for URL rewriting
• Elgg is offering official support for rewrite module enabled Apache and PHP running as an Apache module
If your computer satisfies the above said requirements then go to Elgg official website and download the latest version of elgg
• Once you have downloaded elgg, unzip it and store inside your web server either in its own directory that is /home/www/elgg or in root directory ie /home/www . Then upload the corresponding files using an FTP client to your web server
• Create a data folder outside your document root for storing pictures , user information and other details
• Then create a MySQL database for elgg with php myAdmin or MySQL command line client
Go to your elgg website and the further installation steps will be there. An administrator account will be created after the installation.